This past weekend I installed a Craftsman Liftmaster 1/2 hp garage door opener (Sears item number 00953915000), in my third bay, to compliment the 3/4 HP unit that has served me so well for the past ten years in the main bay. I bought it so the remotes could open either door, because the current opener has been virtually maintenance free (lubing of the track every three years), it is a belt drive (about $15 more than the chain model), and thus a bit quieter, and because aesthetically it looks similar to my pre-existing model.
I’m thinking the technology changed, over the past decade, because my older, visually identical units will not operate the new opener. This doesn’t bother me much, but it is mildly annoying. No one other than me needs to open that door anyway, and the interior and exterior wall-mounted openers will allow them to do that just fine. I’m not home right now or I’d dig up the manual or model number, of the older unit, and see if there is anything I can do. I haven’t tried to use the new openers, with the old opener, but if that works, I’ll swap out my and my wife’s openers and let our kids use the older opener only, only opening the main door. None of this is of any interest to you, my random reader, but you were forced to read it by virtue of your odd stumbling upon this blog.
Installation was more than simple, albeit time-consuming, as these things tend to be for me, what with triple-reading the instructions, reading ahead, reading upside down, reading with coffee, reading with Diet Dew, etc. It’s a process.
All the parts were included as well as a few spares for those pieces one is likely to damage the first go ’round of trying to piece them together. The instructions were great. There was just one section where it would have been helpful to know that a connection had to be oriented a certain way, and of course, I installed it the other way. That was a 90 second mistake to correct, so no big.
I completed the operation myself, without aid. I mounted the one end to the garage wall, propping the motor on a step stool (shown below)…
… after which I swung the other end up and propped it atop my ladder (shown below).
From there it was quick work to attach the struts and attach them to the ceiling…almost. I needed to nail a 2×4, in between the ceiling joists, else make a run to the hardware store for strut extensions. Total add to the project: 15 mins.
Running the interior wall-mount opener and optical-sensor wires was fun. I accidentally tacked in one of the [included] metal tacks too tightly, which penetrated the wire and caused a short, causing the door control not to function. This was easily trouble-shot using the legend for “what does the blinking light mean”, in the trouble-shooting guide. I clipped out the offending length of wire, patched in six inches of new wire (left-over from the installation), and all was well. I already own an electrician grade wire cutting tool, so stripping the ends was painless.
I recommend this model to anyone needing to open a single-wide door. For the double-wide doors I recommend the 3/4 horse model.