Oops. It turned out I had been using a couple of different add-ons. So, not to unduly give credit to the wrong add-on, here’s how the features actually breaks down, by the two Facebook add-ons I use. The list is not meant to be complete. I’ve found that using these add-ons in tandem makes the most sense for me.
- Facebook Toolbar for Firefox – Link: http://developers.facebook.com/toolbar/
- Provides a toolbar with quick links to the main Facebook areas. There is a toolbar at the top of the browser and another one, with different features, at the bottom of the open Facebook window, although to be honest I am not sure if the bottom toolbar is part of this add-on or the ‘Boost’ add-on (listed in the second main bullet of this posting, below).
- Provides pop-up notifications for new friend requests, messages, pokes, event invitations, group invitations, wall writings, and various notifications regarding friends. It does not offer skins, contrary to my previous posting.
- Boost for Facebook – Link: http://apps.facebook.com/boostup/
- Auto-Login for Facebook
- One-click pokes
- (beta) Facebook Video Downloader (haven’t tried this feature yet)
- (beta) Homepage Auto-refresher allows one to force a homepage reset every x minutes. I haven’t tried this feature yet, because I hop around often enough, via the Facebook Toolbar’s quick links (see above first main bullet) as to make this feature redundant, making me think the bandwidth onus unnecessary.
- Various Display Settings
- Skins – This is a really fun feature and keeps it fresh.
- Apply Light Color to Posts – Applies a secondary color for the skin to wall posts and comments so they stand out. It makes viewing easier.
- Hide sponsor and other ads
- Hide ‘People you may know’ on homepage. Personally, I like ‘PYMK’, so I don’t use this option, but I imagine that I’ll try it eventually when that section gets exponentially silly to keep around.
Dan previously wrote:
A while ago I added the Facebook Toolbar for Firefox to my Firefox. I had only used it to login automatically to the site. But for fun, I just checked out the options. It has a sidebar, that lists all my friends, and its browser toolbar adds quick links to the various Facebook locations. I find navigating, at Facebook itself, to be non-intuitive, with reference to what is in the content of the ‘Home’ and ‘Profile’ sections [Facebook toolbar]. The toolbar makes all that irrelevant, as one can just use the toolbar instead of navigating at the site itself.
I loaded the ‘RUSH’ (band) skin, finding that there are numerous skins for the thing. [Boost toolbar]
You can download it at the following link, or simply navigate to your Firefox add-ons (Tools|Add-Ons|Get Add-Ons), type in ‘Facebook’, and click ‘see all’, then scroll down to it.